[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Tue Feb 19 11:14:53 PST 2008

Hi,

I’d like to give a hand with the implementation of the APT backend. So
first, I need to know which repository I should look at: the freedesktop
one or git.glatzor.de? Which of those two does the status map in the FAQ
describe? (And is there a reason for them not to be merged yet?)

One of the things that will hit us if not implemented correctly is, of
course, debconf. The FAQ says wrong things about user interaction, as
these problems are solved in Debian: the user can select a priority
level of questions (meaning by default most questions are not shown),
and the questions are translated.

Debconf already has a GNOME frontend, but given the architecture of
PackageKit, I guess a new D-BUS frontend should be created for the
daemon to talk to, and gnome-packagekit could then use the GNOME
frontend to actually ask the questions. How do you think this should be
done?

Cheers,
--
 .''`.