[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Wed Feb 20 09:28:19 PST 2008

Le mercredi 20 février 2008 à 08:40 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein a écrit :
> The apt backend will be obsolete in the near future. I used the apt
> backend as a starting point and "ported" some parts to a dbus based
> backend. It is named apt2 and was moved to the main line recently.

How complete is it at the moment?

> We discussed some of the issues at http://wiki.debian.org/PackageKit
> (the site hasn't been updated for quite some time).

Well, I guess I have to disagree with Richard about the Debconf needs.
When a question comes with a high priority, it does need to be asked.
When you get a big fat warning telling you to reboot, it should not be
ignored. High priority questions (which are thankfully rare) are for
things that don’t have a sane default, in which case noninteractive
installation isn’t going to work.

I’m interested in PackageKit as a potential replacement for Synaptic,
and I dare to say that it will never replace it without proper debconf
support.

> Would you like to sponsor my packages to Debian? Mvo seems quite busy
> currently. The packaging is hosted at Launchpad:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/packagekit

Could we host this packaging using Debian services?

> In the long run I would like to integrate the xapian work of Enrico to
> provide fast and enriched search methods (including tags, automatic
> sorting by popcon/relevance).
>
> Furthermore I would like to move much of the logic to python-apt e.g.
> the changelog loader or the description "renderer".
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~mvo/python-apt/python-apt--mvo
>
> You will be at FosDem?

Nope, sorry.

> P.S. When will we see updated hotwire packages? :)

Hopefully this week, but don’t take this as a promise :)

Cheers,
--
 .''`.