[packagekit] PackageKitExtra - package abstraction

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:45:58 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 17:10 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 19.02.2008, 10:37 +0100 schrieb Patryk Zawadzki:
> >
> > That's a horrible horrible hack and would be a huge pain to maintain
> > in a consistent and up-to-date way for any distro with daily updates
> > (think "* unstable" or always-in-development distros).
>
> It was written for a distribution with stable releases. The desktop
> extraction is more or less automated using scripts. Futhermore this is a
> description of the current state and not a promotion for a general
> solution.

Sure, I agree it's half way there.

The online desktop. Have a look at http://online.gnome.org/

> > > Is this important?
> >
> > Same question here, if the architecture is not supported, user should
> > not even see the package. It's not like you're gonna buy a new PC to
> > install a package.
>
> Since app-install allows to enable repositories you have to find a way
> to determine if a package is not available since the repository is
> disabled or it is not availabe for the architecture.
>
> Furthermore lots of users are not aware that you cannot install every
> application on every architecture: flash is a good example.
>
> From an usability point of view it makes sense to show a result if the
> users searches for flash and to add an information that it is not
> available.

Sure, but shouldn't the repository metadata know this, rather than
encoding this offline in a desktop file?

> > > You mean installing an application install can enable and then disable a
> > > repository? Isn't this a security risk?
> >
> > Agreed, if packages can add/remove/enable/disable repos at will, the
> > whole distro repo concept is crippled.
>
> The repositories stay enabled after installation. Some time ago the
> universe section  of Ubuntu was not enabled by default. So we translated
> the "enable universe section" action to a human readable dialog: Do you
> want to install software that is maintained by the Ubuntu community?

Sure, I'm not sure that's a terribly good idea. If you search for
software and get two responses, then install another and then the search
returns 5 responses then that's pretty magic. Magic == bugreports from
confused users.

> > > On top of this it is trivial to build an executable like
> > > pk-command-not-found which does the prompting for installation (rather
> > > than telling the user what to do) as we can now install as non-root.
> >
> > Ugh. That would mean I can type stuff like sperl to install a suid
> > binary (security problem). I don't think the whole feature would be
> > all that useful. Your casual Jane User is very unlikely to launch a
> > terminal and type stuff like "firefox" while an admin would certainly
> > just install apache instead of typing "apachectl" and waiting for the
> > shell to install random pieces of software.
>
> There are also power users and not only Jane and admin ones. Take a look
> at all the howtos and wikis that are available today and which include
> terminal commands.

Sure, the terminal isn't going away anytime soon, but i also see the
flip side where my girlfriend won't go near the prompt.

> There is no automatic installation. So I don't see your security
> concern. If it is a security sensitive environment a novice user should
> not have the permission to install software at all.

Valid also, although a prompt probably is a good idea also.