[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 12:23:41 PST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:11:41 +0000
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 15:09 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
> > > Well, I think searching and installing applications is also a core
> > use
> > > case, but maybe we have to go back to the original use-cases and
> > > see how well we are doing.
> >
> > I think the 'application' concept is best handled in a webapp/web
> > service context, with PackageKit providing the client-side
> > abstraction of 'install this package'.
>
> That's sane.
>
> > There's just too much data already that we
> > don't want to have to package up separately (desktop files, icons).
> > Plus a web app/service can store and deal with lots of other data
> > the packaging system doesn't want or need to deal with.
>
> So, shall we remove the word "application" from the use cases and use
> the word package instead?

I think that would make things more clear.  Switching to the concept of
'application' is very useful for end-users, but it's a different level
entirely from dealing with packages.  It should be solved, but
intentionally solved, rather than accidentally stumbling upon it. :-)

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.