[packagekit] Feature request

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 04:23:25 PST 2008

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 19:49 -0300, Evandro Gardenali wrote:
>> But packagekit doesn't allow me to skip/ignore/remove a package from
>> update list, so I would end up needing to update one by one. I couldn't
>> find a workaround for this. so what Im asking is an "ignore" button (or
>> other better name) that I can skip a package when its not updating, so I
>> can have all the other updates working fine. I know that in the ideal
>> world we would'nt have this kind of problem, but today we have :(
>
> Check the mailing list archives. I've pointed out several times that the
> absence of such a feature is a deal-breaker.
>
>       David

Proposal to make PackageKit handle a group of selected updates.

Today Package can only do:
update-system:
Apply all available updates.
update-package:
Apply a single update.

As David and other has said, it sucks big time in the real world.
calling update-package for each package suck from a performance point of
view.

How do we fix it.
* Update the existing update-system to take a list of packageid for
packages to update. (id1,id2,id3,....  (idx = name;version;arch;data )

or

* create a new update-package-list (find at better name if you like), so
we break the existing API, doing the same as above. but make it possible
for the frontend to know if this   one is implemented or not. It it is
implemented then it could be used in all cases (single update, list of
updates, all updates). Something like this could be done for install and
  remove too.

It should not be very hard to implement from a backend point of view

Tim