[packagekit] DBUS configuration

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 09:44:33 PST 2008

Hi,

I talked with David Zeuthen on IRC a bit about how we're using DBUS.
He helped clean up our configs a bit, including removing the at_console
section from org.freedesktop.PackageKit.conf.in, which is a legacy
option, not to mention dangerous.  He did have one question that I
wasn't able to answer - in
org.freedesktop.PackageKit(Yum,Apt)Backend.conf.in, we have:

  <policy user="@PACKAGEKIT_USER@">
    <allow own="org.freedesktop.PackageKitYumBackend"/>
	<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.PackageKitYumBackend"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.PackageKitBackend"/>
  </policy>
  <policy user="root">
    <allow own="org.freedesktop.PackageKitYumBackend"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.PackageKitYumBackend"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.PackageKitBackend"/>
  </policy>

Does anyone use the PACKAGEKIT_USER business?  It evaluates to 'root'
by default, so doesn't really have any effect unless it is set, aside
from a slight performance penalty.  We should probably remove it from
the shipping configs unless it really is for something.  I didn't want
to just make the change for fear of breaking anyone's setup.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.