[packagekit] Things that need fixing

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 29 00:33:38 PST 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 08:59 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>> Yum >= 3.2,10 has a new improved '--skip-broken' broken feature builtin
>> to skip packages with broken dependencies.
>> it is controlled by the self.yumbase.conf.skip_broken flag.
>
> YAY!!! In which case can we use this by default for UpdateSystem or is
> much slower? If it's much slower, we could try the transaction without
> this set, then try it with set, else erroring out.

I is not slower if there is no problem with transaction, only if there
is problem it will be slower.

>> I would be nice if there was some way to control this from pk, but we
>> have to extend the signals some how to signal packages being skipped
>> from the transaction.
>
> Just don't emit the Package() for the skipped package. We'll always get
> it again when we requeue the GetUpdates.

  I think the users will find it strange, if they update the system, and
there is some updates left after the update, without some notice.
is there a signal to send a post transaction message ?

>> In the yum2 backend i make perfect sense to use arrays, but what about
>> the helper script backends link yum, how do they handle multiple packages ?
>
> I guess just pass them as extra arguments on stdin.

ok, fine

>> I think we should make new multi package method, and let the frontend
>> check if multi package methods is implemented, then use them else
>> fallback to single package methods.
>
> Sounds pretty icky. I think we can do the string -> stri array thing
> on all the backends, it just might take a bit of time.

ok, then i start fixing the yum backend to support arrays ( multiple
package args on stdin )

Tim