[packagekit] viability of the current yum backend ?

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:16:23 PST 2008

Playing around with pk-update-viewer quite a bit in the last few days,
I have come to seriously doubt that the approach of the current yum
backend is viable for creating an acceptable user experience. Moving
the selection up and down in the package list constantly brings up the
progress bar for multiple seconds. Pup runs circles around
pk-update-viewer in terms of responsiveness here.

Running a separate yum process for each ui action is never going to
fast enough, and trying to "fix" this by caching in the frontend is
only going to complicate things further...

Not that I am volunteering to rearchitect the yum backend, but I think
it has to be done.

I wonder what thoughts of the yum people on this are ?

Matthias