[packagekit] viability of the current yum backend ?

Tom Parker palfrey at tevp.net
Thu Jan 3 12:25:36 PST 2008

On 03/01/2008, Elliot Peele <elliot.peele at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have the same sort of problems with the Conary backend. Maybe we
> should come up with a python based dbus interface that both the Yum and
> Conary backends could use to communicate with PackageKit.

This sort of problem is the reasoning behind some of the fun and games
of the apt backend (at least with the sqlite caching switched on for
that). I think the big problem is how to create a persistent backend
object without blocking other tools that also want to use the relevant
packaging system, but that's probably something that needs to be done
in different ways for different backends.

Tom