[packagekit] A new design update viewer

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:09:15 PST 2008

> On Jan 9, 2008 4:32 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How do you do this? Insensitive makes the control grayed out - thanks.
>
> I've pushed the fix. gtk_tree_selection_set_mode, if you are interested.

Legend, thanks.

> > > - The double progress bars you get for the actual update are very
> > > disorienting. The smaller one seems to track the larger progress. And
> > > the larger one constantly tells me wrong times.
> >
> > Ahh, the wrong times is a backend problem - but the fact that it keeps
> > changing is probably a good indication we shouldn't show them unless we
> > keep getting them about right.
>
> I'll look at this again the next time a sufficient number of updates
> have accumulated in rawhide (ie probably tonight)

Cool, thanks. On a related note, could you tell us how you setup your
testing repo with your handcrafted metadata xml, I'm thinking of adding
a backend-specific test case and wanted to give it a go myself first.

> > > I did a larger update, and it was infuriating to constantly be told
> > > that it would take 30 seconds, or 15, or 20, only to be greeted by the
> > > next empty progress bar after some (usually longer than promised)
> > > time. Best to lose the time estimates altogether, since we won't be
> > > able to get them reliable enough to make sense.
> >
> > Well, I think disabling the timer if we are not getting sane times. Are
> > you trying packagekitd from git - there were some time fixes in this
> > area recently.
>
> The other problem with the coming and going time information is that
> it changes the height of the progress bar, which looks bad, too.

Ahh yes. What about displaying "Unknown time remaining" in this case?

> > > - The list on the progress page is very unclear. It took me quite a
> > > while to figure out that it is supposed to list all the little parts
> > > of the big transaction. I don't think we _have_ to reuse the list with
> > > similar icons and package names on every single screen...better to
> > > just have a single field for the currently running part, like the old
> > > progress screen had
> >
> > Isn't it useful seeing what was installed and updated? I don't mind
> > changing this either way.
>
> I guess it is, but probably only if you are actually interested in
> such minutiae.
> If I just clicked "Update System", I'd hope for a simple, encouraging
> "All updated!" screen with a big thumbs up icon or somesuch...
>
> Reviewing the details of the transaction is really more for control freaks...

So hide it behind a GtkExpander perhaps? How were you imagining you
would see feedback from the transaction - could you give me some ASCII
art pls? :-)

Thanks.