[packagekit] Questions for PK and future zypp backend development

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Jan 11 07:30:43 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 15:07 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 14:38 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > One thing I've just discovered (I don't know if this is an error in my
> > backend), is that multiple processes often overlap because there is a
> > significant delay from the function finishing and destroy being
> > called.
>
> Ick, not cool.

Indeed, especially as calling destroy twice in a row caused a double
free in the ipkg backend :-)

> > Is this intentional?
>
> No, but I wouldn't mind betting the finished_delay stuff in pk-engine
> and pk-backend will be the problem. I'm going to start designing the new
> backend queue now, so hopefully in a few hours I can email the list and
> say: what'd'ya'say?

Cool. Out of interest, what's sort of timescale do you have in mind for
the next release?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/