[packagekit] Ipkg backend performance

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Jan 11 08:13:16 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 16:03 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 15:49 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > Just did some very rudimentary tests of the ipkg backend on my desktop
> > and on an armv4 device. After I observed the init overlapping, I
> > implemented a reference count system so that I only initialised and
> > destroyed when necessary. This gave some interesting results.
> >

> > x86 System (2.00GHz)
> > --------------------
> >
> > Without single init:
> >
> > get-description runtime was 0.5 seconds
> > get-depends runtime was 0.8 seconds
> > search-name runtime was 1.2 seconds
>
> That's pretty quick I think.

Not really, because pk-application therefore takes 0.5 seconds to change
the current selected package (because it fetches the description, or
worse, runs get-depends). Any user interaction would ideally not take
more that 0.1 seconds to give a response.

But then, maybe that's just a design flaw in the way pk-application uses
PackageKit?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/