[packagekit] transaction errors from the yum backend

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 12:42:19 PST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 7:23 AM, Tim Lauridsen <tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > error transaction-error       Error in Transaction Processing;ERROR with
> > rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:;Package otherapp conflicts with
> > someapp.;Please report this error in bugzilla
> >
>   i have committed some changes in yum upstream, to get a little more
> verbose messages, but it will not help in this case, because the error
> messages comes from rpm.

I don't think thats true:

[mclasen at localhost gtk]$ grep "conflicts with"
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/*.py
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py:        msg = '%s
conflicts with %s' % (name, conf)
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py:                msg =
'Package %s conflicts with %s.' % \

I think what we'll probably have to do to get acceptable error messages is to
filter out things that look more like debug information:

ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve
Please report this error in bugzilla

and for the remaining meaningful messages like

Package otherapp conflicts with someapp

match which template they came from (in this case, "Package %s
conflicts with %s")
and replace it with a translated version.