[packagekit] PackageKit-gnome: saner icons usage

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:30:38 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm because I have talked with people on fedora-devel-list.

I have to propose you using saner icons. What does this mean?

When app is uninstalled - generic icons is used (package-x-generic, I
guess), but when it's installed, some .desktop files are placed in
%{_datadir}/applications (where datadir macro is eg /usr/share).

.desktop file provides name of app, its category, icon, supported mime
types.

PackageKit would check for .desktop file existence and use its "Icon= "
definition to display appropriate icon from icon theme (or from
specified pixmap).

If app provides few .desktop files, almost in all situations, there's
one "main" desktop file, which should be used,

Another approach should be used for libraries - we shouldn't use exact
"library" in icon, but maybe generic icon with some emblem (like
"default" in GNOME' icon theme).

This question is not to leave, but to discuss. Keep this in your minds.

Bye

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/