[packagekit] PackageKit Backend Error Handling

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Mon Jan 28 09:00:08 PST 2008

Hi,

At the moment, I'm looking into improving the libopkg error handling.
First and foremost, I want to report errors that originate from updating
the package list (i.e. refresh cache). I've recently added GPG support
to opkg, so there are now at least several errors that can occur when
running this operation:

* Package list download error
* Signature download error
* Signature validation error

As these errors occur per-repository and there are often multiple
repositories available, each error can occur multiple times in one
transaction.

When updating the package lists, it isn't considered a fatal error if
one of them cannot be downloaded or verified. As such, the update
process will store the error and continue to the next repository. The
collected errors are reported to the user when the process finishes.

Furthermore, signature failure is not to be considered fatal, rather it
should be sent as a warning to the user.

So my question is, how can I translate these methods this to PackageKit?
As far as I understand it, any error produced by a PackageKit backend is
required to be fatal and therefore the backend can only ever report one
error from a command.

Could someone point me in the right direction if there is something I've
missed, or perhaps suggest some way we might solve this?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/