[packagekit] Network Status and Repository accessibility

Tick Chen tick at openmoko.com
Tue Jul 1 23:37:49 PDT 2008

Hi List,
  About the pk_xxx_get_network_status only detects if the system have IP or Route.
Either in with NM path and Unix path. That means the system *may* access
to the network, but it does not imply the system actually can get
refresh/install/update... from the repository.

  For example, if the system does not set DNS server well, packagekitd
will detect the system is online but some repository in which only used
domain name will be hard to access. Packagekitd cannot detect that.

 Is there are any easy way to detect the actual accessibility of repository?
What come up to me is actually trying to access the repository.
Try to get an arbitrary file from the repository, and to see if there are any error from the server or just cannot access to the server.

Here I have some questions:
1. Is Network Status enough for packagekit?
2. Is repository accessibility the real thing the package manager cares
about?
3. Is this shall be done in packagekit? Or it shall be done in backends?

In my option, I think that is what backends care about.

Cheers,
Tick