[packagekit] Res: KPackagekit in Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 21 08:51:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:27:48AM -0700, dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br wrote:
>    About the licence i'm wondering why it needs to be GPL2 as far as i
>    know
>    qt4 will use GPL3 so KDE4 would problably do the same...
>    but we can put all the code to GPL2 if  for now is a problem..

It doesn't need to be GPL 2, 3 would work also.  But KDE is sticking with GPL-2-or-later
for the forseeable future to allow us to link against GPL 2 only
libraries such as poppler.  I think it would be great to include
kpackagekit in KDE at some point since that would mean apps would be
confident to use it and it would get greater takeup from
distributions, but that's just my thoughts.

The immediate problem is just for COPYING to be consistent with the
code files.

>    Ah, one last thing if you can send to Richard the packaging specs he
>    said
>    he could also do packages for Fedora rawhide.

The packaging is at

http://ppa.launchpad.net/jr/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpackagekit-qt/
http://ppa.launchpad.net/jr/ubuntu/pool/main/k/kpackagekit/

But I don't think it would be much use for Fedora (RPM vs .deb).

Jonathan