[packagekit] Synchronous Python interface

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 04:39:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 08:56 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Hughes [2008-07-08 21:01 +0100]:
> > Right. You probably want to be adding your code to the git server --
> > probably in python/ but I don't know the convention.
>
> I don't see a general "Python stuff" branch on
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/ and I don't know how to browse
> git.packagekit.org. Any more detailled instructions?

You probably want to checkout the source using:

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/packagekit

> Alternatively I could add it to PackageKit/contrib/python/.

Well, we do have python/packagekit/frontend.py -- you probably want to
try and replace that so it gets installed in the right python site
directory for other things to use.

> > We probably need to have different classes for async and sync, but
> > I'm no python dude.
>
> Right, if someone wants to use PK directly in a GUI app, an async
> interface might be better (unless that uses threading).

Right, it's also way easier to show things like progress as some of the
transactions can take a few minutes to complete.

> Right, since Jockey already uses a D-BUS backend (where you can use
> async D-BUS calls), I prefer the synchronous one for my purposes.

Right, no problem.