[packagekit] Updates

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 02:30:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 15:38 -0700, dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm playing with update-packages these days,
> and i have two ideas:
> - a method on the daemon (not sure it's the same on libpackagekit)
>    to ask for the supported kinds of upgrades for the backend..
> this way i can show a more concise combo* of the kinds

You don't need to -- you can just call GetUpdates and then filter on the
enumerated types. It's only a couple of Kb of data over the bus.

> - *about the combo i think it should be a checkable list so the user
> sees the kinds
> of upgrades avaliable and select the ones the want's to be
> automaticaly
> upgraded.(also a sugestion for gpk)

Well, there's hardcoded rules in gpk-update-icon right now to handle
updates marked as security updates. I talked in depth with the usability
people in Red Hat and they didn't see any benifit in making this
configurable for the other ~5 update types.

I've uploaded some profiles here:
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html -- I see these people as the
typical consumers of PackageKit.