[packagekit] Bundles

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 04:21:40 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 09:36 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 16:09 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> >> The point is you _can't_ do translations and trust in a bundle[1] it's
> >> deliberately kept super simple.
> >>
> >> Richard.
> >>
> >> [1] it's a bad name, and it's probably going to change
> >
> > As DavidZ points out, a bundle makes it sound like the package files are
> > included, which they aren't. For a new name, what about digest,
> > checklist, catalog, itinerary or collection.
> >
> > I quite like digest as a name. Others welcome.
> >
> > Richard.
>
> GROUP :)
>
> This is exactly a group in my would.
> The problem is we have to many types of group.

Sure, it's a heavily overloaded word.

> My propocal is to call the current pk groups for categories and a call
> the bundle for groups.
> The groups could be mapped to the comps group or other kind of
> installable groups on other backend systems, or they could be remote
> groups there is some kind of xml describing that packages the contains.

The groups we have at the moment probably shouldn't change in name
(massive API change) but I do this we need sub-groups (aka, collection,
set, meta-group) so you can install the XFCE collection for instance.

I've not seem any program do well with UI for this, so we need to be a
bit careful with what we try to do. Displaying a massive comps list is
probably not a good plan.