[packagekit] System installer integration?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Jun 10 08:29:37 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 16:01 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> I was just wondering: was there any though put into making anaconda
>> use PK backends instead of interfacing with yum directly? This could
>> be of great benefit to at least some of the distros (including but not
>> limited to PLD).
> I've not put any thought into it - I guess it could make sense, but
> usually you want to do the blitting to disk as fast as possible with as
> few questions as possible.
>
> Have you got any ideas on how this would work?

As the installer is really demon-less, the easiest solution that comes
to mind would be writing an abstraction layer to load and call into
the backends directly (we don't need queue support and parallel calls
while installing).

One missing API call would be to set the install-root and bootstrap a
fresh system there (rpm --initdb in case of rpm).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution