[packagekit] System installer integration?

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 11 02:08:16 PDT 2008

Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Tim Lauridsen
> <tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>>> I was just wondering: was there any though put into making anaconda
>>> use PK backends instead of interfacing with yum directly? This could
>>> be of great benefit to at least some of the distros (including but not
>>> limited to PLD).
>> I don't think it is a good idea, a system installer should as simple as
>> possible and use the native packagemanager directly, there is no benefit
>> in adding a abstraction layer like packagekit.
>
> ...other than being forced to maintain downstream patches that replace
> yum with poldek/apt/zypp/whatever ;)

There is a lot of differences in the the different distros, other than
the native package manager used, to be handled by the system installer,
some if you what to use anaconda to install a debian system, the package
mananger is one of the minor issues.
We have to use pk in there area where it have some forces, and leave it
out in the other places where it just complicates things.

Tim