[packagekit] New pk-update-viewer interface

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 08:07:03 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 08:59 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've attached two new screenshot of pk-update-viewer. The first is in
> >  master, but I like the second better.
> >
> >  The checkboxes don't do anything yet but can soon be connected to the
> >  new multi-package_id methods so we can select the list manually.
> >
> >  The other thing is replacing the GtkTextBox with a GtkTreeView, which is
> >  much better from a HIG point of view (not using a random monospace font
> >  for positioning), and is much more maintainable as it's less "magic".
> >  I've used a custom renderer for the clickable links, which seems look
> >  good, but might need a few tweaks.
>
> Gah, we really need to get you off the 'everything is a treeview' trip...

Sure. I'm just familiar with them, and they seem to abstract the model
and the data quite well. Plus, I think they look nice on the eye.

> >  This also means that a multiline description stays in the "right" side
> >  of the pane from an aesthetic point of view.
>
> The textview 'hack' would have handled that just fine...but back when
> I did it, there were no newlines in descriptions, only ; ...

I only ever saw:

    Title: mulitslakjfdsafj sdlkfkladsh sdfksjkad sdfadkfj
 sdaflsdfa sdfjklkadsjf sadfjkladskj sadfkljjksf.

> >  So, do you like screenshot 1 or 2? Or do you have a better idea?
>
> I think the repetition of 'link' in the left column looks really bad,
> in particular the
> numbered 'bugzilla link (n)'. There is no shame in leaving a cell empty...

I've nuked the "link" part of the title.

> As far as comparing your two variants goes, I'd have to side with screenshot 1.
> Screenshot 2 is already too wide, and  still forces you to have a
> horizontal scrollbar in the package list.

Good points.