[packagekit] Changing the Package signal to include a type

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 4 04:36:29 PST 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> After my talk at FOSDEM I got talking to the suse guys about other types
> of package, such as deltarpm and binary patches. We don't want to treat
> these any differently, but we might want to display a different icon in
> the UI or have different update policy based on the update type.
>
> In the yum and yum2 backends we also emit a signal called MetaData which
> we don't actually do anything with. It would be also useful to push this
> in to the Package signal so we don't have YAS (yet another signal) and
> still can get feedback into the UI about what we are doing.

The MetaData signal is not releated to a package, it is send when the
yum backends download differnt kind of metadata.

> Therefore, I've changed the Package callback from:
>
> Package(info, package_id, summary)

> Package(info, type, package_id, summary)
>
> I think I've updated all the backends and client code, but please can
> you guys test this API change out to make sure I haven't broken
> anything.

It is a little hard for me to see the use of this, do you girlfriend
care if it is a deltarpm or a full rpm an update is an update.
We should take care not to add to many distro / backend specific options
to the API.

Tim