[packagekit] Changing the Package signal to include a type

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Tue Mar 4 05:57:12 PST 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 04. 2008 14:39]:
> On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:25 +0100, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> >
> > A typical example for the usefulness of grouping is a glibc update on
> > a 64bit system which typically includes
> > - glibc
> > - glibc-32bit
> > - glibc-locale
> > - glibc-locale-32bit
> > - glibc-devel
> > - glibc-devel-32bit
> > - glibc-i18ndata
>
> Do patches only ever mean glibc-*? There is a basename filter for
> GetUpdates that does what you describe I believe.

Filtering on package name does not match the intention of 'suse
patches'.
'suse patches' try to relate a problem and its fix to actual package
updates.
So if fixing a problem needs updating foo, bar and baz, the patch
is used to group these packages.

> As far as the user is concerned, glibc is a security fix and all the
> others don't actually matter.

Right. And you might take this one step further: The user is concerned
about a security risk, if the system is affected and the availability
of a fix. If the fix is implemented by updating glibc, expat or bash
(just to name a few) is of secondary importance.

Klaus
---