[packagekit] Python fork() question

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 5 07:25:34 PST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 04.03.2008, 12:54 +0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 13:05 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > It seems that forking is not well supported by dbus:
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2007-April/007508.html
>
> Well, we don't actually need to keep the connection across the fork if I
> understand things correctly.
>
> > > b) I've heard that python's threading implementation leaves a lot to be
> > > desired.
> >
> > The c interpreter of python cannot use native threads. But since we
> > don't rely on performance it should be ok.
>
> Sure. I'm thinking threading might be a better plan than forking right
> now.

I added threading and cancel support to the apt2 backend in the
forked-dbus-backend branch. The yum2 forking stlye can still be used
by applying the new forked decorator.

Furthermore I tried to adapt the yum2 backend to the new API, since I am
familiar with the feeling of getting broken :)

What are the correct exit states for the cancel method? Why do I get a
time out error for my Cancel call? Would be nice to wait a little and
see if the canceling was done successfully.

Cheers,

Sebastian