[packagekit] running without a head via cron

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:27:10 PST 2008

On 3/6/08, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>  > Sure, but can't most of those messages be encoded into the message
>  > body and a simple "Updates failed|Updates installed" be passed as the
>  > header on result of $?.
>
> As long as $? gives meaningful different results. It's nice to distinguish
>  between transient errors, and between "Updates installed, with notes"  and
>  regular "Updates installed" in the subject line.

I've got no probs with that. if you come up with a retval table of
numbers we can do this trivially.

> That's one level of it. The next level is: if we were unplugged from the
>  network for three hours, we probably don't want to complain. If we're
>  unplugged for a day, maybe we want to make a little bit of noise. If we're
>  unable to get updates for a week, we want to be louder about it. But at the
>  same time, we don't want to annoy people with a storm of messages.

Hmm. sounds too configurable to me...

> The problem is there's a lot of potentially useful data. Even packagename +
>  old version + new version is straining what one can fit on an 80-character
>  line.

Who said it had to be on one line?

> Origin repository is pretty vital too, although perhaps one can group
>  packages into lists per repo, making that a sub-header rather than a column.

Wow, that's far too much detail for a simple command. We can parse the
output later if we want.

>  > PackageKit can't ask the backend to only update from certain repos, as
>  > that would imply it could do it's own dependancy resolution. You can
>  > however ask PackageKit to disable a repo, do the update then enable a
>  > repo -- I think that would do what you require.
>

> Yep, that'd be fine. But adding stuff like that gets more and more
>  complicated in a shell script.

pkcon repo disable livna

> At this point, the python client library seems a bit more complicate than
>  that. :)

Suure. Maybe you could come up with a list of nice-to-haves and then
i'll iimpliment the sane ones. ;-)

Richard

p.s. n800 is a lifesaver.