[packagekit] Forked and Threaded

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 9 06:27:40 PDT 2008

Servus,

I would like to keep the threaded approach for the apt2 backend, since I
see the following problem with forking: You cannot change the cache of
the parent process, since all the work is done in the child process.

The search of the apt2 backend is very fast and so isn't an interface
blocker. In the end I only want to allow to cancel the downloading part.

So Robin, would you please take a look at the forked-dbus-backend
branch? The decorator should work for you and even simplify your code.

By the way doesn't it make more sense to exit the main loop of the child
process right at the beginning? AFAIK this way you don't get into the
situation that the child processes DBus calls.

Cheers,

Sebastian