[packagekit] running without a head via cron

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 13:24:12 PDT 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:45:53 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 03:44:13PM +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > What you perhaps want is a Nagios plugin. There is no need to
> > rewrite all of the notification handling. I use the APT check
> > plugin on many of my servers. So you could report security updates
> > as critical and normal updates as a warning.
>
> Maybe. That's hard from a "just works out of the box" standpoint.

Hi,

I meant to respond to this earlier, but I agree with Sebastian that
complicated scheduling and notification type logic has to reside in a
monitoring/configuration management system, not in an individual
application.  If you try to bring that logic into individual
applications, you end up with an overly complicated system that never
does exactly what some users want, and is configured differently from
everything else.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood