[packagekit] Multiple calls for listing updates

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Mar 11 13:14:56 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 20:12 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>  > I think it's worth making the check for each job being enqueued. If
>  > it's in queue next to an identical task, either both will fail or the
>  > first one succeeds and the second one will result in nothing being
>  > done. It's not exclusive for "list available updates."
>  Why _next_ to an identical task? Surely being in the list at all is
>  enough reason to fail the GetUpdates (bearing in mind that we
>  get ::UpdatesChanged when the list changes anyway)? I've merged that
>  patch for now so we can do some testing.

Well, requesting updates might happen both between two installs and
after them and would yield different results each time so I'd limit
myself to two consecutive invocations with nothing in between.

>  I think the other actions have to be queued, as they are different
>  transactions and headed for different clients. I'm not sure if it's a
>  good idea to multiplex these up in the daemon.

I can't see how allowing clients to queue "install foo;1.0-1;i686;baz"
10 times in a row makes the installation more successful ;)

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution