[packagekit] User Interaction needed

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:13:36 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:48 -0400, Justin Haygood wrote:
>  This requires manual intervention currently. This is done during
> dependency resolution currently. (Via a prompt: Package X depends on
> package Y which requires a vendor change. Do you wish to continue?).
> We can probably assume yes in this case however.

What option would my mum choose? I'm 99% sure she would just go with the
default.

> Installed Package Must Be Removed: Sometimes updating packages breaks
> dependencies. zypper/yast currently prompt and list the packages that
> will be removed if you continue. It's probably safe to fail in this
> case.

Already handled in the API, this is with the yum backend:

[hughsie at hughsie-laptop src]$ pkcon remove hal
resolve runtime was 0.6 seconds
get-requires runtime was 0.6 seconds
The following packages have to be removed:
0       gnome-volume-manager-2.17.0-8.fc8
1       gdm-1:2.20.3-1.fc8
2       gparted-0.3.3-14.fc8
3       hal-info-20070516-2.fc7
4       gnome-mount-0.7-1.fc8
5       hplip-2.7.12-4.fc8
6       nautilus-cd-burner-2.20.0-1.fc8
7       hal-cups-utils-0.6.9-1.fc7
8       NetworkManager-1:0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3235.fc8
9       hal-devel-0.5.9-8.fc7
10      NetworkManager-gnome-1:0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3235.fc8
11      gnome-power-manager-2.21.92-1.104.20080309svn.fc8.hughsie
Okay to remove additional packages? [N/y]

As long as GetRequires() is implemented, then it should "just work".

> You can abort via ctrl-c in zypper, or by clicking "ABORT" in YaST.
> Already installed packages stay installed since it only will install a
> package where all dependencies are already installed. In the
> OpenOffice.org example, if X.org, and X.org is on CD1 and
> OpenOffice.org is on CD2, zypp will install X.org assuming CD1 is in
> the drive, and then prompt for CD2. If you abort, X.org will stay
> installed.

Gotcha.