[packagekit] User Interaction needed

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Thu Mar 13 07:38:19 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 12. 2008 23:52]:
> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:26 -0600, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> >
> > This assumes you  have enough space on the disk for the package cache.
>
> Sure, yes, but we have to make a compromise somewhere. Doing it this way
> gives us the benefit of fire-and-forget (when the transaction is
> actually running) and also allows us to use multiple install media.

But it also limits packagekits ability to be used for larger
transactions, e.g. 'service pack' upgrades where a lot of packages get
updated.
Also keep small systems (eePc, virtual images, etc.) in mind where
disk space might be scarce.

Yes, I know its a tradeoff to be made and no, I don't have an ideal
solution at hand.

Maybe PackageKit should support both modes of operation,
download-all-before-transaction (sufficient disk space) and
download-during-transaction (limited disk space).

Klaus
---