[packagekit] User Interaction needed

Stanislav Visnovsky visnov at suse.cz
Thu Mar 13 13:20:36 PDT 2008

Dňa Thursday 13 March 2008 13:44:47 Richard Hughes ste napísal:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 13:21 +0100, Stefan Haas wrote:
> > You want to install foo. To fulfill the requirements of foo you've to
> > remove bar.
>
> Have you got some examples of what foo and bar are? I'm not sure
> installing one package and removing another is what the user is
> expecting.
>
> > Here you've to ask what's to do:
> >
> > 1) remove bar and install foo
> > 2) don't install foo
> >
> > What should the backend do in this case?
>
> Well, the purist in me is saying that:
> * installing a package shouldn't uninstall another

If the package conflicts and PackageKit does not allow to resolve the
dependency by user, the only choice backend has to fulfill user requirement
(install) is to remove the conflicting package. IIRC, postfix and sendmail
conflict on openSUSE.

> * utilities like "alternatives" should be used when the binary has the
> same name.

Well, packaging is never ideal world. ;-)

Stano