[packagekit] User Interaction needed

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:04:59 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 21:28 +0100, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> * Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 13. 2008 20:52]:
> > On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 13:21 +0100, Stefan Haas wrote:
> > Well, the purist in me is saying that:
> > * installing a package shouldn't uninstall another
>
> An 'obsoletes' dependency in the to-be-installed package _will_
> uninstall any package matching the obsoletes.
> You cannot prevent this with RPM.

Sure, I guess that's the exception to the rule. If you obsolete a
package then you intend to replace it with good reason, for instance,
obsoleting an obsolete library with a new one. Basically it's what the
packager has decided that is a sane thing to do.

The obsoletes case probable isn't suitable for the sendmail/postfix
case, as an admin might be very confused why their working machine just
won't work now if we blow away a working sendmail config.