[packagekit] udev installing firmware? insanity or super cool?

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Thu Mar 13 18:12:14 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 13. 2008 22:40]:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 22:18 +0100, Adrien BUSTANY wrote:
> > That'd be great, really. Your "implementation" seems sane to me... Again
> > though, we have that name convention... All the distros have to call the
> > package with the same name. But distros can patch that.
>
> Well, they could patch, or we could just install the package that
> satisfies a filename, as this should be fairly common between distros.

This still requires to maintain a "deviceid:firmware-filename" list.

(open)SUSE kernel drivers publish the module's supported device id
through 'modalias' regexps.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Software_Management/Dependencies/Hardware

Based on this information, the PackageKit backend should be able to
resolve a device id to an actual package name.

Klaus
---