[packagekit] Res: automaticaly Dependencies

mirttex85-pk at yahoo.com.br mirttex85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Mon Mar 17 07:36:47 PDT 2008

>>On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 18:53 -0700, mirttex85-pk at yahoo.com.br wrote:
>>  gnome-desktop package should install everything that is need to run a
>> gnome environment plus gain, xchat ...
>
>Sure, you can have the same in fedora (xorg-drivers comes to mind).

>> The "problem" is that all this packages that gnome-desktop installed
>> are "tagged" as automaticaly installed {a}, this way when you remove
>> gnome-desktop, all the packages marked as automaticaly installed that
>> aren't in use for any other package got uninstalled.
>
>Is this an apt thing?

yes. you have aptitude markauto|umarkauto gaim...
when you search aptitude search gaim
it will give like:
i A xserver-xorg-video-intel                                                                     - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
Note the A meaning it was automatically installed

>> So if you decide that you don't want xchat anymore, and you try to
>> remove xchat, you will broke the gnome-desktop dependencies, and as
>> you cannot have broken deps gnome-desktop need to be removed along
>> with gain.
>
>Well, if gaim requires gnome-desktop then removing gaim doesn't remove
>gnome-desktop.

No gnome-desktop requires gaim (part of the hole desktop)

>> Well as i said not sure about other system packages, just thought this
>> is somehow important.
>
>What's the use case? Trying to save disk space?

not sure if I understood you point but save the user to be without a desktop, you know users like to next next finish, so even you you say:  Hey! say good bye to your desktop! he'll click yes, but a least he could have a choice to umark those packages that are marked as automatically..

Daniel.

http://br.mail.yahoo.com/