[packagekit] Another approach at PK status window

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 06:08:37 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>  > You've got to admin that currently the thing you get by clicking the
>  >  PK status icon is less than user friendly. Therefore I came with
>  >  another idea.
>
>  Another mockup follows.

I agree that we shouldn't show the subpercentage. But I also think
that anything that shows a scrollable list with all packages is just
too much information for the progress dialog (that applies both to the
current implementation and your mockup). We need to remember that the
primary use case is

"Oh there are updates ? Please install them for me and tell me when
you are done."

not

"Let me study the list of available updates in great detail...I'll
pick this, this and this, but not this. Now install this, but I'm
watching you, so better show me every step you make !"

Last night I started to work on a simpler progress dialog; the
attached screenshots are not perfect, since I haven't fixed the window
size problems of pk-update-viewer yet.

Matthias