[packagekit] ServicePack: Matching update media to distros

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Fri Mar 28 06:58:19 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 28. 2008 14:46]:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:42 -0400, Elliot Peele wrote:
> > Why not ask the PackageKit backend?
>
> This is per-distro, not per backend. You can install start, apt or yum
> on fedora.

Although I agree on this information being per-distro, the backend might
have additional knowledge to increase confidence in the validity of the
data.

And the backend seems to be a 'natural place' for this.

Btw, it would be nice to have support for multiple distributions resp.
products installed on a system. Think of application stack installed
on a distro.
A service pack media might contain updates for this application stack.

Klaus
---