[packagekit] 0.1.10 feedback

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Mar 31 15:34:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias.clasen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > 4. It could be nice to remember failed upgrades and mark them as such
>  >  > in the update window (don't try to upgrade again until the
>  >  > dependencies are satisfied - not sure if this can be done in a sane
>  >  > manner for all the backends). I know the "repos should not be broken"
>  >  > mantra but it does not work in real life.
>  >  No, I don't think this is a good idea - if the security update failed to
>  >  be installed, then it should remain in the tray and the update viewer
>  >  tool.
>  One could think about listing the failed updates in the summary page,
>  together with a "don't warn me again about these updates" checkbox,
>  but that would make the whole thing quite a bit more complicated for
>  something that we hope is rare in released distros...

Ah... To be clear: I'm not asking for any magic to happen or to
disable some updates like OSX allows you to do. All I ask is don't
include updates that already failed until the repo refresh results in
at least one changed package (or until next repo refresh if it's too
much of a burden to keep track of changes). The rationale being that
it will succeed at one point in time but two consecutive runs of the
same upgrade are unlikely to fix anything and only add more errors to
the display.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution