[packagekit] FOSScamp discussion notes

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Fri May 23 00:04:04 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [May 23. 2008 08:51]:

> Well, it's not the case of installing dodgy software, as we already let
> the user do that with warnings and needing the root prompt. The issue is
> that some developer creates a repo with a package with a higher epoch,
> and then the fedora releases a critical security package (with an
> updated version, but smaller epoch) and the package does not get
> upgraded, leaving the user vulnerable.

How's that any different from 'normal' package installs and updates ?
Does PackageKit, or any other package management software, prevent
this today ?

> I've not shut the door on 1-click, I just need some valid use cases.
> Have you suse guys done any work on use cases for 1-click?

Its extremely useful as soon as you need multiple packages (due to
dependencies) from a specific source. vlc from videolan.org is my
primary example with all its additional codecs.
Being able to click on an RPM just gives you _this_ RPM. What if
additional RPMs are needed ?
With 1-click-install, you include the whole repository into the
dependency resolution.

Klaus