[packagekit] FOSScamp discussion notes

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue May 27 05:53:27 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:38 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 12:20 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> >     Fedora: <a href="pk://DeviceKit">DeviceKit</a>
> >     Debian/Ubuntu: <a href="pk://devicekit">DeviceKit</a>
>
> Why not say: Install the package that provides /usr/bin/devicekit-foo
>
> This should be more constant across distros.

That's true. There may some limitations to this, for instance
the choice between /usr/lib and /usr/libexec, but it should work
on the most part.

The InstallFiles command isnt' implemented by all backends currently,
I don't know how much work would be involved in supporting this for
them all, but I imagine it would be less than I was proposing.

Certainly for the backend this would mean pulling in the file lists,
which are pretty large. Sebastian, did you plan on implementing this
command?

Thanks,

James