[packagekit] FOSScamp discussion notes

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue May 27 08:59:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov at suse.cz> wrote:
> Dňa Tuesday 27 May 2008 17:35:49 Patryk Zawadzki ste napísal:
>> But that's the goal of most distros. If users want foo, they will
>> complain and so foo will find its way into distro. That's why using
>> _only_ distro-provided packages is a good idea. Not to mention having
>> many mutually-incompatible forks of RPM and different macros and
>> provides (try to install a PLD Linux package on Fedora or a SUSE
>> package on RedHat EL without resorting to --force --nodeps).
> What about policy restrictions (e.g. licensing, non-FOSS, etc)?

That would either require Fedora to authorize Livna-alike repos (won't
happen - legal issues) or would require the ability to automatically
enable third-party repos (won't happen - a great way to spread
rootkits). I don't see how 1-click solves this problem.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution