[packagekit] An end to the filckering

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 00:28:28 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 21:06 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started looking at the user interface of the GTK applications. The
> first annoyance was the widget resizing that happens all the time.
>
> So here is a "fixed" glade file for gpk-application:
>
> * The status label does now use ellipsizes for too long status messages

To be honest, I'm not sure the status should be there at all (I know, it
was me who put it there...) -- maybe a status bar might be best? Or
perhaps just re-use the description or detail textbox?

> * The main window requests a larger size without needing to hard code it

What's the advantage of doing this in the glade file rather than in C?
Doing it in C allows us to turn it off for small form factor device.

> * The package list and details widgets are now part of a paned window

The paned window starts up way too large, hiding most of the package
results. I played with this in the past setting pane parameters, but it
was pretty hacky.