[packagekit] Caching of repository metadata (esp. Yum)

Sebastian Heinlein sebi at glatzor.de
Wed Nov 26 02:05:18 PST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 25.11.2008, 09:02 -0600 schrieb Jud Craft:
> I see.  Apologies for misunderstanding.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that you needed to work around Yum's lock,
> because I understand that it's there for a reason.  I'd just like to
> be able to browse packages at a speed comparable to an iTunes library
> as opposed to a Google search. :)  But I realize the complications.

This is not your fault. It is a valid feature request.

Not knowing how long a PackageKit transaction will take, makes it quite
uncomfortable to write applications. A small Resolve call could take
seconds, minutes or hours.

I would really like to see a separation of cache manipulating and
read-only transactions. Is it possible to process multiple transactions
concurrently with the spawn or native backend?

Cheers,

Sebastian