[packagekit] Showing applications in the package view

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 27 13:38:40 PST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 27.11.2008, 18:32 +0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> With PkDesktop and Sylvain's patch to get the menu location, we can show
> the user quite a nice representation of applications, rather than
> packages.
>
> What do you all think of the screenshot attached? Is this muddling the
> user interface, or providing the user with what they need to know?
>
> Comments appreciated.

You are mixing two types of objects.

The mapping between packages and applications is not always so clear as
already stated before. Multiple applications in one package, desktop
file in a *-data or *-common package.

Furthermore there is no clue for the user why there is sometimes a
strange menu reference and not the package name in the list.

You should decide if you want to show packages or applications (as in
e.g. gnome-app-install) or make it a choice by providing different
views.

Cheers,

Sebastian