[packagekit] GetMimeTypes API addition?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 14:53:09 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 14:07 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Thanks, i will wait.

Cool, some comments:

* Tons of trailing whitespace - pet hate of mine
* We're already using collection for a meta-group -- can you use
  Categories and SubCategories? as method names?
* I'm still not convinced you need two methods and signals to populate a
tree. What if the tree is four layers deep, or one layer deep?

Couldn't you do something like this:

GetCategoryTree()
CategoryNode(s=parent, s=id, s=icon, s=name)

So you can do something like this:

C:GetCategoryTree()
S:CategoryNode("", "apps", "cat-apps", "Applications")
S:CategoryNode("", "games", "accessories-games", "Games")
S:CategoryNode("games", "games;board", "board-games", "Board Games")
S:CategoryNode("games", "games;action", "action-games", "Action Games")
S:CategoryNode("games;action", "games;action;quake", "quake", "Quake games")
S:CategoryNode("", "system-tools", "media-system", "System tools")
S:Finished ()

Then you only need to send one request to the server, and you get one
set of requests back, and you get an n-deep tree without hardcoding lots
of policy in the API.

It would be trivial to handle in python, and slightly trickier to do in
C.

What do you think?