[packagekit] Python GTK Client

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 13 23:12:28 PDT 2008

Am Montag, den 13.10.2008, 11:07 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 11:46 +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > I just started the work on a gtk client based on packagekit.client.
>
> Cool, what does the tool do?

Oh, I was a bit unclear here. I am not writting a complete new tool, but
GTK widgets for other tools :)

packagekit.gtkclient is an extended version of packagekit.client. I
replace the internal _h_status|_h_progress callbacks by emitting gobject
signals. A set of new widgets is connected to those signals:
PackageKitStatusIcon, PackageKitStatusLabel, PackageKitProgressBar and
PackageKitProgressDialog. So the widgtes can easily be reused in an
application.

Furthermore long taking actions will have a progress dialog and erros
and messages will appear in corresponding dialogs.

> > I will push the results to packagekit-gnome in a separate branch in the
> > next days.
>
> It depends -- is it a different version of a gpk-* tool, or it is
> complimentary?
>
> > Richard, would it be possible to store the user interface messages in a
> > (xml) catalog to share translations and provide a common look and feel?
> > This should also help the kde guys.
>
> How would I implement a catalog of translations? Do you have an example?
> Thanks.

It just needs to be a file in a format which can be scanned by gettext.

But I am just reusing your enum-converter from PackageKit to extract the
information from gpk-enum.c.

Cheers,

Sebastian