[packagekit] Wishlist for API breaks

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 10:11:23 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 11:28 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 15:16 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Any of you on the list want an API break but too afraid to ask?
> >
> > These are the things I want to break API for in the future (not anytime
> > soon)
> >
> > * Add a severity enum in update detail struct
>
>  You need an API break to add fields? Can't you add them at the end?

Well, I could, but the DBUS api requires a hard signature.

> > Do any of you have any other things on the wishlist?
>
>  There's the install+remove operation, which I think requires a break?

Do we want an InstallRemove function or something more abstract like:

SwapPackages(sendmail, postfix)

As we want to swap the packages, not just do random things. I think the
UI would get very muddled if we let the users do both actions at once,
and I think it would be pretty hard for backends to say "we support
these actions with these other actions (nxn)" and also do the ordering
correctly.

>  And maybe a more advanced search call?

What scope did you think of the search call? Is this something we can
achieve with the existing search-details?