[packagekit] Wishlist for API breaks

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Sun Oct 26 13:31:25 PDT 2008

On Sunday 26 October 2008 01:12:33 pm Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 15:13 -0400, Trever Fischer wrote:
> > A way to get the list of packages associated with a transaction. It'd
> > be nice to show a list of packages that PackageKit is working on when
> > a frontend is installing updates behind the user's back.
>
> Can't you use the GetPackageLast() method for that? That's what I use
> for cold-plugging in the gnome tool.
>
> Richard.

That only gives me the last package used. I want more of a complete list. For
example, if there was an update job running, I'd like the UI to show a list of
which packages it already updated, which ones it has yet to update, and so on.
As a user, if I see the message that updates are being installed, I might want
to know if a new kernel is being installed. I'll start some UI program that
queries PackageKit for the current transaction's package list and then
displays it. That way I know not to start anything really big since I'll want
to restart when its done.