[packagekit] splitting python into frontend and backend

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:49:32 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> At the moment lib/python contains a mix of files used by the backends,
> and files used by front-end clients.
>
> I propose making:
>
> lib/python/*.py               for all the client side stuff
> backends/helpers/python/*.py  for all the backend stuff
>
> The former would install to the
> existing /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit, and the second
> to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit-backend
>
> This also allows us to create backends/helpers/perl for the urpmi
> backend.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Richard.

Why ?
today we have a single package kit python module ( in lib/python/*.py ->
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit )
it contains submodules like client, backend, emums etc.
some as used by backends (import packagekit.backend), some ar used by
clients (import package.client) some are used by both (from packagekit
import enums).
what does a split buys up, other than confusion on where the packages
should go.

Tim